Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Something Yummy

My boys have gobbled up this cake recipe that I found online this week. Any suggestions for how to cut down on the butter? There's butter in the cake and in the frosting and I'm thinking it could use a bit of a healthy makeover, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Banana Sheet Cake
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 1/4 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups light sour cream
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3 medium overripe bananas, mashed

In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar, then add the eggs, sour cream and vanilla. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, then stir in the bananas.

Spread batter into a greased 18x12x1inch pan. Bake at 350 for 30-35 min. or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool and frost (see recipe below). Cut into squares.

Frosting
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3-4 cups confectioner's sugar

In a bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar.

And on a sort of related note, having only boys makes you think about quite a few things. One of the things I've been wondering about is whether any of my recipes will ever be used by my own boys. Since being married I've learned that you tend to stick with what you know. I use several recipes that I've picked up from my in-laws, but for the most part I cook a lot like my mom does, and like my grandma did. I still prefer my grandma's stew recipe over any other and this time of year I start craving it. And I wish she'd invite me over on Halloween night for chili and doughnuts. I also think that my mom is a fabulous cook and I use all kinds of her recipes on a regular basis. I also subscribe to a couple of cooking magazines and I experiment with different things once in a while with varying degrees of success. Brian also happens to be a good cook and when he cooks he usually chooses to make something that he grew up on. It just makes me wonder, will my boys pass down some of my recipes? What traditions will they carry on and what will be lost? I suppose that's why it's so important to write down our memories while they are still fresh and can be preserved in writing if not in feeling.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Cynthia, loved all your updates! That cake sounds delicious!

Heidi said...

Don't laugh, and don't be grossed out but the best thing I have discovered is pureed white beans. I substitute half of the fat in my baked goods with an equal amount of pureed white beans. It's a great way to rotate my food storage and get extra fiber and protein in my family. I have done it on all types of cookies, peanut butter, sugar, chocolate chip, oatmeal, chocolate chocolate chip, etc. I do it in muffins all the time. I am sure it would work in cake. If it worked in my sugar cookies, it should work in your cake. Plus they are cheap! I puree a bunch at a time, freeze them in ice cube trays then store them in freezer bags. I pull out how many I need easily and quickly. It's awesome. If you don't believe me call me and I'll make you something and bring it over...