Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Flag Football

For the past couple of years Ethan has been anxiously awaiting the time when he could finally play flag football. This was the big year!

He ended up on a team that had a really intense coach. The first practice the coach handed out several plays that he wanted the kids to have memorized by the next practice. They practiced twice a week and had games twice a week! Between practices and games we were kept rather busy during the month of September and the first part of October. The coach pegged the kids for different positions pretty much right off the bat and Ethan ended up being the center. I was a little disappointed that the kids didn't get the opportunity to try out different positions since this was just a recreational league, but I guess everyone has different priorities. He did get to play defense a couple of times and on one of the last plays of the season he had the chance to run the ball, but other than that he pretty much just hiked the ball.

Ethan does have a great arm. I wish the coach would have let him use it a couple of times throughout the season.
Ethan now says that he's ready to try contact football. I am not so sure. It's super expensive, more dangerous, and more competitive. I'd like to see him stick to flag football for a couple of years, but I guess we'll see if I change my mind or not. I'd like to see him play on a team with a coach that let's the kids rotate positions a little more. But maybe next year he'll be more interested in baseball or basketball. Time will tell!

No comments: