Last night they reorganized four of the words in our Stake, going from four wards to three. There is no growth in this area and so this became necessary, especially in two of the wards where there attendance was down 25-32% over the past eight years. Sadly, our subdivision was taken out of our current ward and added to an existing ward on the other side of 4000 West. We are now in the Jordan North 8th Ward and we will miss our friends in the Jordan North 5th Ward. However, we're trying to have a positive attitude and we will look forward to making new friends.
Last Tuesday we were called in to meet with the Stake President. We were anticipating that Brian would be extended a release from his calling as Executive Secretary since he had been serving in that position for 5 and a half years. However, we were surprised to learn about the boundary changes (since we'd gone to church in Midway last Sunday), and then Brian was asked to serve as first counselor in the new bishopric of the 8th ward. I think we both felt pretty overwhelmed. Our current bishop is now the bishop of the 8th ward and so he knows Brian very well. And anyone who knows Brian even just a little bit knows what a great guy he is. I think he will make a great first counselor, although I will miss him when he is away from home. The timing of this is kind of funny since we're expecting a new baby in a few weeks, but I feel that Heavenly Father will bless us for Brian's service and our family's sacrifices.
Yesterday was an emotionally draining day as it was hard to think about all of the friends we will miss each Sunday, and to top it all off I had to teach the lesson in Relief Society! Ironically, Brian's parents found out yesterday that their ward was undergoing boundary changes too. However, they came with us to our meeting and afterwards Brian was ordained to be a High Priest by his dad and then set apart to be the first counselor. It was a very sacred experience and I really felt the love that Heavenly Father has for Brian and our family.
The new second counselor, Josh Tidwell, is also young. He and his wife have three little boys with another boy on the way and their oldest boy is named Ethan! Josh is also the oldest of nine children. The coincidences were really funny. I think it will be a great bishopric for Brian to serve in and I am excited for him. I hope that our boys will quickly adjust to our new ward and that they'll be able to find some new friends. I've had a lot of people offer to help me with the boys during Sacrament Meeting while Brian sits on the stand and I feel grateful for that. It will be an adventure!
2 comments:
Wow! What a surprise. Brian will be so great. I know the Lord will bless your little (I guess it's not so little anymore!) family. Good luck with all the changes.
Congrats on the new call Brian. You will do a tremendous job!
Post a Comment