Until recently I had never sent a text message. Frankly I just didn't see the point. Why type something when you could just pick up the phone and call? I also admit I was intimidated. I rarely use my cell phone in the first place. Last May I loaded the phone with $100 worth of minutes and I haven't run out yet. I mainly use it when I'm out on an errand and need to call someone or they need to get in touch with me, and that's about it. I prefer to talk on my land line in all other cases because I can understand people better because of the solid connection.
But with Louise visiting from Denmark I have been fully introduced to the world of texting. When Louise's mom, Tina, first sent me a text message I panicked and called Brian asking him what I should do. That was the first time I'd received a text that was actually intended for me. I tried to text back, but I was thoroughly confused and quite relieved when Tina called me a few minutes later. In my defense Brian later tried texting on my phone and was equally frustrated. I think if I ever get into texting I would have to buy a new phone because mine is relatively old (3 years) and simple. But when I type a text on Brian's Iphone it's much easier and I can see the convenience of it. For example, tonight Louise is out with friends but she's staying at our house. She can text me to let me know that she's on her way home putting any worries I have to rest while being able to converse with her friends in the meantime.
I'm not totally converted, but at least now I can understand the reasons why people choose to text. Just realize that the next time I call it will probably be on my home phone - I'm not ready to make the cell phone only leap.
4 comments:
You are so funny. We added texting to our plan last year, and it's so easy. I don't know about you, but it is nearly impossible for me to make a phone call with the kids. I have to plan it so that they are well occupied, and then what if whoever it is I'm trying to get a hold of can't be reached? It's just easier to text, email, or facebook. For me with the kids anyway. We've only had cell phones for the last few years too. Land lines seem archaic to me, hahaha. Actually it's just because we move so much, didn't see the point in getting it all set up. It is easier with a phone with QWERTY though.
Hillarious. I'm with Tiffany on this . . .a land line seems archaic to me also. I have a blackberry now with a full keyboard and that has been the trick to texting . . .much easier. I'm not saying I send a lot of them, but I can at least do it without it taking all day to find the letter I need. : ) I'm secretly jealous of Brian's iphone.
Cynthia you are a crack up! I was introduced to the texting world 4 years ago and felt exactly the way you do...but now I text with the best of them. It's especially great with communicating with my teenagers. I no longer have a land line either...don't miss it a bit :) I'm loving your house updates. That last house seems perfect!
I'm going to start texting you randomly just to keep your skills up.
Post a Comment