A few weeks ago I received an email from Louise saying that she had a trip planned to Utah and would like to stay with us. Needless to say, I was excited beyond words. This last Tuesday the day of her arrival finally came and we headed out to the airport to greet her. When Louise came through the security area it took me a moment to recognize her because she was no longer a girl, she is gorgeous and all grown up! Too bad I have my eyes closed in this picture.
Sadly, Louise's bags did not make the flight from Chicago so she was without all of her clothing. The next day we found out that they couldn't find one of her bags and it took until Thursday afternoon for them to finally find and deliver it.We really enjoyed our time with Louise. She has a wonderful, vibrant personality and is so easy to talk to. My boys quickly came to love her and peppered her with questions about her life in Denmark. She was so cute with them that it was easy for them to love her.
On Wednesday we headed downtown to see some of the Church sites. Unfortunately the weather was really terrible, but we didn't let that stop us. Louise was able to get tickets to all four sessions of Conference which was really exciting for her. We stopped and listened to an organ recital inside the massive Conference Center and wandered around the building a bit.


We then headed over to the Lion House for lunch and along the way we bumped into a friend of Louise's who is also from Denmark. They spoke to each other in Danish for awhile and then Tanner said "Blah, blah, blah, blah." I'm sure that's what Danish sounded like to his little ears. We had a really yummy lunch in a warm building and then headed to Temple Square. We toured the South Visitors Center and then went to the North Visitors Center.
In the North Visitors Center Louise found one of her friends from Sweden who is serving a mission on Temple Square right now. She's going to have to go back and spend more time there when she isn't being trailed by three very restless little boys.
That night we had to go down to the Gateway to do some shopping since she still didn't have any clothes to wear. Since Copenhagen is very progressive in fashion it was very difficult for Louise to find anything to wear. We just don't dress the same here in Utah. We were able to find a few things and then I took her to Wal-Mart for some basics. I really don't like Wal-Mart, but they're open late and close to us, so it had to due.The next day we took the boys to my mom's house and she watched them while Louise and I went to do baptisms in the Salt Lake Temple. I had never done baptisms there before so it was a really neat and new experience for me as well. Words can't begin to describe what a special spiritual experience it was for me to be in the temple together with Louise. It's been nine and a half years since I came home from my mission, but Louise and her mother, Tina, are still active and strong in the Church. They are wonderful member missionaries with strong testimonies. I admire them so much for living the gospel in a country where they are a small minority and where religion isn't a priority for most people. They are wonderful examples to me and how I love them!
After the temple we were able to visit the Tabernacle and then we visited the new downtown Deseret Book store. Louise was in heaven browsing the aisles and having her pick of all of the LDS materials she could want. It made me appreciate how blessed we members of the Church are who live right here in Salt Lake. We have such easy access to so many wonderful things and places, yet we far too often take it for granted.
That evening we had a nice dinner with my parents at their house. It was also Brian's birthday so we had a little birthday party for him as well. My parents met Tina and Louise when they picked me up from my mission and also visited them when we went back with my brothers Jeff and Matt and again in 2005 when we visited with Brian and my brother Chris. They were happy to see her again and we had a delightful visit together.

All to soon it was time for Louise to leave us. The time went way too fast! Lucky for me she left one of her empty bags at our house so she'll have to come back and get that before she leaves Utah. That means we'll get to see her again! We took her to meet an Elder from Denmark who is serving in the Salt Lake City South Mission and we had lunch together at Cafe Rio. How wonderful it was for me to have so many days full of Danish. After nearly ten years away from Denmark I can definitely understand more Danish than I can speak.When we dropped Louise off at the next house where she is staying Tanner asked "Why do we have to leave her here? Why can't she stay with us?" I wish she could stay longer too, but we have to share her. Hopefully she'll be back again soon, and hopefully we'll be able to visit her again in Denmark one of these days.
Vi ses Louise! Ha' en god rejse!

2 comments:
That's just awesome. I remember visiting them and she was so little and cute. Crazy to see how she's grown up. So much fun. I'm totally jealous that you've been back so many times.
Yaaaaaaaay Cynthi! That was just the cutest post I have ever read. Thank you for sharing our days and experiences. And you don't have to be worried at all - of course I'm coming back! I felt home at your darling home as I haven't done anywhere else. I love you and your little family. Again, thank you for everything! Louise
Post a Comment