One day I got a message from Anders's 6th grade teacher, Dr. Susana Thornhill. She told me that the class had written pieces she calls "small moments" and that Anders had shared his piece in class that day and had led a discussion about it. She told me I should have him share it with me.
When Anders came home from school I asked him if I could look at it, and I was blown away. This piece so perfectly encapsulates Anders as a 6th grader. He is interested in several disciplines, and in this piece you can see his interest in philosophy mingled with his interest in science, and physics specifically. He and I had a discussion about his writing and I confessed to him that thinking these kind of thoughts hurt my brain, but he patiently tried to explain his thoughts to me about the ideas and I tried my best to understand.
I can't tell you with certainty what I was thinking about in 6th grade, but I know I wasn't thinking this deeply about life and the universe. Right now Anders thinks he wants to go into aeronautical physics when he grows up, so it will be interesting to see where his interests lead him in the next few years. I'm proud of him for being a deep thinker who is not afraid to ask himself hard questions.

No comments:
Post a Comment