It's always hard to get going again in January after you've had a wonderful Christmas break. This year felt extra special as we got to have Ethan home with us for a solid 3 weeks. It feels right to me when everyone is together, but I suppose I'll have to get used to the feeling of someone always being gone.
On Sunday the 8th we drove Ethan back up to his dorm for the new semester. Due to a series of unfortunate events that included his roommate being kicked out of school before Thanksgiving, Ethan does not have a roommate this semester.
The bright side of the unfortunate roommate situation is that this semester he has the dorm room all to himself. This meant that he with all the extra space he was able to take our keyboard up to his dorm room so that he can rehearse for Chamber Choir whenever he wants to. No need to try to scramble for a practice room, he can now practice in his dorm room whenever he likes. His room is on the top floor in the northwest corner of Kahlert Village, so he has a beautiful view over the valley. I never had a dorm room so nice, so I'm a little jealous. Where are the cramped rooms and cinderblock walls? Perhaps he'll get a taste of that later in his college career. He has a busy schedule this semester as he is taking 18 credits and is involved in many activities, but if anyone can handle such a full load it's him.

Tanner got a new haircut. He kept it longer on top this time so that he can have a nifty style for his Color Guard performances this semester. I think he looks great. Fortunately Color Guard isn't quite as busy as Marching Band, so we've been able to see a bit more of him these past couple of months. Tanner, Brian, and I worked an event at Kingsbury Hall this month for Centennial Management doing security work and now we're just a few dollars short of having all of Tanner's band fees paid off for the year. He gets to go on a trip to Washington D.C. in May and March in the Memorial Day Parade. What an opportunity!
Over Martin Luther King Jr. weekend Brian and I were able to see Ain't Too Proud: The Life & Times of the Temptations. Seeing it over this particular weekend was especially poignant for me as the characters on stage talked about how white audiences liked to be entertained by black performers, but then wanted nothing to do with black people in real life. Ooooffff. I wish I could say things have changed, and I think things have gotten better, but I think America still has a long way to go in this regard. Brian and I saw this musical along with Ethan last year in April when we visited Boston while on a trip to check out the University of Maine. We got to see the show in the Boston's Citizens Bank Opera House and that setting was spectacular. I think I liked it even better this time around. Highly recommend this one. It's a great story with incredible music.

Since we had everyone home for the long weekend we decided to go out for breakfast together at Penny Ann's Cafe in Taylorsville. It had been a long time, but it was just as good as we remembered it. Anders is our hot chocolate connoisseur and he loved their hot chocolate. He got Reece's Peanut Butter pancakes. Tanner and Bradon always like to get the biscuits and gravy. Ethan got strawberry pancakes, Brian got a regular stack of pancakes, and I got their breakfast nachos, which I get almost every time. It was the perfect ending to a long, relaxing weekend. I don't mind having quiet weekends in January after the business of the holiday season.





No comments:
Post a Comment