Ethan and I have had a lot of fun together this fall as I have tried to teach him to read. Brian's mom gave me a book that practically does all of the teaching for you, and I have loved it. It's great to sped 20 minutes a day with him doing something one on one. Tanner sometimes likes to join in too, and he's learned some of the sounds, but he usually loses interest after a while. I'm sure in a couple of years he'll be a great reader too. The book has 100 lessons and we are on lesson 29, so we still have a ways to go, but it's neat to see Ethan's eyes light up with understanding when he gets a concept, or sounds a word out all on his own. He's able to read some simple sentences and he does a good job of comprehending what he has read.
When we first started the lessons we just did them a couple of times a week. However, now that he's reading words and small stories Ethan is excited about it and always reminds me that we haven't done his reading lesson yet.
In October Ethan got his first pair of glasses. At his 5 year old well child visit he had trouble seeing some of the letters with his left eye. We brought him back to the pediatrician in September and they retested him, but he had trouble again. We got a referral to a pediatric eye doctor and had a great experience at their office. He was prescribed a pair of glasses so that his left eye doesn't become lazy. He has been great about wearing the glasses and he will remind me to clean them when I forget in the morning. He picked out the blue frames himself. He chose blue because he's such a big BYU fan. He looks great in his glasses and gets lots of compliments on them.
4 comments:
Is that book "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons"? If so, I have it too. I used it with Spencer. We didn't actually finish it but he is reading. In fact, all of the kindergarten classes have been split by reading skills and Spencer is in on of the two advanced classes. They're even learning the first grade reading lists. I attribute it all to that book. Lyena is more into than he is. I think it's a girl thing. Oh, and it's about time you updated this thing! :)
I'm glad you got caught up. It's one of our only connections to you Utah people!
I must get that book.
Wow, sounds like a great book. Way to get a kid hooked.
Marie Horne
Post a Comment