Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Shots, a Supernumerary Tooth & Potty Training

Today I had the pleasure of having a combined well baby/well child doctor's visit for Bradon & Tanner. I scheduled Bradon's visit a little later, and Tanner's a little earlier so that we could get it all done at once. Ethan had to come along as well because he needed to have his vision retested. Needless to say, this doctor's visit wasn't the most fun. Ethan failed the vision test again and so we need to make an appointment to see a pediatric optometrist. He also got the flu mist (which is so much better than the shot - no crying at all). Tanner got one shot and also the flu mist. He cried just a little after his shots, but he really cried when Bradon had his oral vaccination and three shots. Bradon cried and Tanner was beside himself. He is very protective and sensitive to the feelings of those he loves. Ethan also teared up. My boys really love each other and look out for one another. I'm glad we got it all over with at once, but what a day.

Last week I took Tanner to the dentist. He was the perfect little dental patient. He was a little nervous, but he never cried, sat patiently for x-rays (twice!), and willingly let his teeth be cleaned and examined. Sadly we found out that he has a supernumerary tooth. This is basically an extra tooth, in addition to his adult teeth, that will need to be removed. The dentist recommended this be done as soon as possible because it can start to cause problems with other teeth as a child grows. He told me that he would probably have to remove one tooth, and possibly two teeth to get to this extra tooth. That means that Tanner would have missing teeth for several years. Yikes! Not great news, but we're waiting to hear back from the dentist on the cost of this marvelous little procedure. Needless to say, we vastly underestimated our flex spending needs this year. Thanks to us the medical community is quite happy. I am remembering to count my blessings because I know that other families face problems that are immeasurably worse, but you hate to see your own children suffer.

In happier news we are finally having some potty training success around our house. On Saturday I went to Swiss Days with my mom and Debbie and one booth was selling reward charts. This chart is a racetrack that has reusable race cars that a child can place on the track. I told Tanner that when he fills up his track he can get a surprise. After introducing this system Tanner proceeded to pee in the potty three times within the next 30 minutes. I don't know how he managed it, but he really did. He stayed dry all day Sunday and even used the bathroom in nursery. He was dry again yesterday, although he did have an accident with #2. However, today he pooped in the potty all by himself while I took a nap! Hooray! He is doing so great and only has to earn a few more cars to get his surprise. I can't tell you how great it will be to only have to buy diapers for one child. I can handle buying pull-up pants for nighttime, but all those diapers were getting expensive. Good job Tanner!

2 comments:

Hale Family said...

Yay! Thanks for telling me how to find your blog! You have adorable boys! Funny that we both married Brian's. :) It looks like you are doing good. - April

Nicole said...

I love the fact that your boys are so close and care so much for one another. I see similar traits in our children as they stay together on the playground, share their snacks and raise great concern when one is unhappy or sad. What a blessing. They will always have each other. I have one in pull ups and three in diapers :) I feel your pocketbook pain.