Sunday, January 5, 2014

July 2013

Our July always begins with a celebration of Ethan's birthday. This year we celebrated his 10th! He wanted a soccer cake to celebrate his new love of all things soccer.

Anders and Chase loved the soccer cake.
Bradon too.
Ethan got some fun games and quiz cards. He eats up that kind of stuff.

He also got a new Real Salt Lake shirt. This year he chose to go to a Real Salt Lake game with Brian for his yearly birthday date with dad. He loved it.

I'd say this birthday was a big success! I also want to note that shortly after his birthday Ethan got contact lenses. It was a rough transition for him - at first he wasn't sure he liked them. Then he liked them, but had a hard time putting them in himself. I would put the contact in while he held his eye open. We did that for a couple of weeks and then I'd hold his eye open while he put the contact in. After a few months he could do the whole process all by himself. He worked really hard on it and didn't give up even though it was a very hard thing to learn how to do. Brian and I are proud of him for learning to do it. He has loved the contact lenses and hates it when he has to wear glasses now. I feel the same way.
One day in July we went down to the pool in Lindon to do some swimming. I wish that pool was much, much closer because we always have so much fun there. Afterwards we went to American Fork canyon to have dinner. Jeff and Rachel had scouted out a perfect spot by the river and the kids had a blast.
There's nothing like good food and great company in a beautiful setting.
Chris took Anna and Tanner on a hike across the river. All went well until Anna stumbled across a hornet nest. Thankfully they all made it back in one piece and no one had to go to the hospital. But it was a little scary for them!
Jeff didn't catch any fish that night, but I love this picture of my brother doing what he loves to do.
Anders really loved throwing rocks in the river.
These two boys just crack me up when they're together.



My only regret is that we only did this one time that summer.
On the 24th of July we celebrated by having dinner and a water fight at my parent's house. We started the water fight tradition last year and it is a lot of fun. We had hundreds of water balloons and we managed to go through them all in a matter of minutes.
The little boys liked to throw the water balloons, but they did not want to by hit by them.

As night fell it was time for fireworks. . .
This is the last shot I have before everything started to go terribly wrong. None of us especially love fireworks, but this year we bought a few aerial fireworks to give them a try. Our very last firework misfired and started sending bursts of fireworks towards the watching crowd. It was scary and everyone started running for cover. I am sad to report that in an emergency situation I will apparently be no help to my own children because I just ran! Save yourselves! My mom and sister got bruised and burned by the fireworks and my mom even went to the emergency room. I don't love fireworks.
We took a turn hosting my family for our Sunday dinner. Chris and Susie had rented an ice cream machine for her family party and they were kind enough to bring it to our house, so we all got to enjoy Dole Whips! A taste of Disney in our own backyard.
Needless to say, the Dole Whips were a great success and loved by one and all.


 Oh how I miss summer!

No comments: